So many people are up in arms over this issue, it's hard to find where your personal opinion lies. Well, here's mine: I'm for the bill. I'm for it because the law provides a stipulation preventing insurance companies from defining pre-existing conditions. I'm for it because I feel that insurance is a right, not a privelege. I'm for it because I fear those who couldn't afford it before this morning, even in the slightest, may never see a day where they can at least afford the medicine. And I'm for it most importantly, because it's getting everyone, conservative, liberal, independent, off their butts and getting involved in something that hits home. It's about damn time.
After watching my father beat cancer and see billed envelopes stamped from the hospital roll in, I've seen the good and bad of insurance. After hearing my mother couldn't be covered or would have to be covered at a hefty price for being BORN with a pre-existing condition, I've watched her frustration grow with every denial letter. Thing is, what they went through is happening to the majority of other Americans, and it doesn't matter what side of the political coin they're on. And worse yet, there's that other number of citizens who can't afford anything at all. I'm sure those men, women, and families are just as hard working as any other, aren't evil, and they pay taxes just like the people complaining about paying more under this law. So, what do we do? Do we let them sit by and suffer? Do we say, "Oh, well, I don't think I should have to pay more money so Joe Blow and Betty Whatshername can afford to go to the doctor". Business as usual in health care needed a jolt.
We had to do SOMETHING.
I'm still digging into overviews of the law, but I'm starting to understand it. I understand why it's getting some flack--and why several states, incuding mine are going to fight it. I'm okay with that. I WANT someone to challenge it, because I feel that as Americans, we're supposed to make sure our voice is heard. I want Republicans and Democrats or whoever else to say "I don't feel this represents us all". Isn't that what America is supposed to do: represent us all?
I'm not going to say that this law doesn't deserve criticism and opposition. But I'm glad it went through because at least now, we have a start at making something happen. I hope that those who plan to fight have some good ideas, that those who are backing it can listen and amend, and that we can at some point all feel like we're respresented equally. I don't know when it will happen exactly, but I hope this is the beginning of interaction for America.
My opinion doesn't make me a socialist. It doesn't make me a sadist or any other label someone wants to throw at me. My opinion is that of an American who recognizes that this issue affects everyone. As such, we will spend much of our lives expressing how we feel about this very issue. As Americans, we should stop mudslinging, name-calling, bickering, and acting like our moms didn't raise us right. We need to listen. We need to respect. And we need to ensure that in some way, we act as a country and address how our money pays for a hospital bed or a shot of penicillin. I'm holding my family accountable. I'm holding my friends accountable. I'm holding the liberal and conservative officials I elected accountable. And I will always hold my President accountable. You sounded the gun, President Obama. Hope you're prepared to fight, and fight for everyone--not just the people who voted you into office.

3 comments:
I love you and miss you! thanks for saying what I didn't know how to say!!
Love it! There are so many people who don't actually understand what or why they are fighting this. So many say that because of this bill Communism is coming to America, but the only reason they think this is because someone else told them to.
Now, because of this bill my daughter can not be denied health care in the future due to a congenital problem she was born with. It will be many years before we know if she will be okay, or how many more surgeries she will have to have, and now she will be able to recieve those surgeries.
Our insurance company denied so many days of her hospital stay because a third party company told them to. Now we are up to our eyes in med. bills, all because they wanted to cut corners.
Way to go! Wish everyone could read this!
I am against the bill because it places more power on the government. I feel that too much government control will lead to sanctions because of overhead costs as all will pay for all; creating a shift in supply and demand of the health care system. We have medicare in this country and I do not understand why they didn't simply offer it to those in need w/o hauling the whole system all together for economical gains in the end. Might be strange to some yet I also feel that it is a means to get closer to the New World Order which will lead to the End of Days in where the government will have total control of society and if one does not take the mark they will no longer have medical care either and be placed as a local terrorist for not complying with the law to have everyone branded. I am not against just this governmental take-over yet against all governmental positions in which we are all obligated to use their systems of business which lessens free trade and capitalism. With parent from a Communist country I can a test to the problems to the masses when governments take control and absolute power is given to one. My views are my views and mean nothing to anyone else which I don't care as long as I stay true to my own thoughts w/o belittling others; I feel that I have reasoning for my thoughts and wish that others would look at the bigger picture rather then a minute issue that I feel the power's that be inform people as the reasoning's for their actions when in all truths it is simply to take over and use society as puppets for their own gains.
Post a Comment